Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: WMV files do not encode
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:04 am 

Hello,
Sorry to have to start this forum off with a negative post but Windows Media files simply do not encode using Podner. I got the flip4mac component and I can get wmv files to play in quicktime and podner now but whenever I try to transcode (I think thats the right word) into an ipod format it tries to start, the bar goes across very fast, and then it just pertends like it did it, but doesn't create any file. When I put the encoding to h.264, multipass, it acts like its doing something and will take a good bit of time (about 20 minutes) before finally creating nothing.
I hope someone can help me on this. I was really hoping this would be the solution to getting rid of those damn wmv files I have.
Oh none of the wmv files are protected or anything.
Thanks for any help,
Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:31 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for telling us about the issue with WMV files.

So far, in our tests, we've seen only positive results with the Flip4Mac component, so we're pretty keen to figure out what's happening at your end. Can you give us a link to one or more of the WMV files you're trying to process with Podner? If not, could you email one of yours to us at support@splasm.com? That way we can duplicate the issue here and release a fix for everyone.

Thanks again Matthew!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:07 pm 

Same thing here. I sent Splasm Support a couple of .wmv files that will not encode by Podner. Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

After reviewing the sample videos we've received, which worked correctly in our tests, we believe we've realized the issue: the $9.99 Flip4Mac Player will play Windows Media files but will not allow users to export, either to QuickTime-supported formats or to Windows Media formats. Per Telestream's product comparison matrix, at http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_matrix.htm, the $49.00 Flip4Mac Player Pro is required to export from Windows Media formats. Unfortunately, this also applies to Podner. We did not make this clear in our FAQ.

Is it possible that you've registered the $9.99 Flip4Mac Player, not the $49.00 Flip4Mac Player Pro?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:45 pm 

Yes, all I have is the player version of flip4mac. I don't have the Pro version. Thanks for reviewing the files, and the quick response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:01 pm 

Yes, that would be the same case here. I have to admit to being a little upset by the fact that I've registered and paid 10 dollars (flip4mac player) for something that is really of no real value to me. I would have bought the 50 dollar flip4mac software but now I'm not too big on the idea of actually having to spend 60 for it (50 for the pro software and 10 for the player I already got). Anything you guys at Podner can work out on this so us early adopters aren't getting burned here?
Thanks,
Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:15 pm 

I have a different WMV problem. I can get Podner to import the WMV file, and to process it. The problem is that it does not process the entire video. It stops short.

I double checked to make sure that something hadn't happened, and Podner now thought that I hadn't registered it. About Podner still shows Registered.

I checked the WMV file that I am importing to make sure it hadn't been cut. It is still a full fie.

I checked the view window in Podner prior to trying to encode it again. This viewing of the video shows the incomplete video. Am I doing something wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:19 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Considering the About window tells you that Podner is registered, could you tell us how Podner is indicating that it's unregistered?

Even if Podner is not registered you should still be able to see the entire video in the Podner window - unless the Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro component has somehow come to think of itself as unregistered. In that case, you would only be able to see the first half of the movie. Maybe that's the part that's come unglued, and you're seeing that the WMV Player is in trial mode because it puts a scrolling message stating that on the video displayed in Podner. Is that a possibility? If so, Telestream, the owners of the Flip4Mac family of software, can help get you back up. You can visit their support resources at http://www.flip4mac.com/support.htm , and contact them from there if necessary.

Please let us know whether the Flip4Mac Player idea is spot on. We need to be sure you're up and running, and if that idea is a dead end we can keep troubleshooting with you until this issue is resolved.